Sunday, October 5, 2008

Parenting

Ok, so I don't know if there's a new style of parenting for the new century or whether it's just a big city thing but I call it pussy parenting. What am I talking about? The total lack of response to any bad behaviour a child may exhibit and other general stupid parenting ideas. Some examples (and a lot of these are things that my sis-in-law has seen/been told...I am completely stunned at the stupidity of all these examples):
1) Just got a phone call from sis. A young girl (about 10-11) opened an unpaid for pack of gum at Wal-mart, chewed a piece for a few seconds then spit the gum on the FLOOR, stating that it tasted gross. All of this while her mother just looked on without doing anything. Uh, yeah, my kid would have been stopped at the trying to open the unpaid for gum.
2) Local playground just got a whole bunch of new equipment a few days back. Last night some kid? adult? thought it would be a good idea to poop (yeah that's right I said poop) in one of the new toys there. Hello! Are you that much of a freakin savage? Little kids play there!
3) At same playground today some stupid woman was playing a game of tag? with her two boys, with a twist, they were throwing rocks (fairly big ones) at each other while chasing each other. Yes, the mother too! Hi, way to teach your kids stupid playground games that will eventually hurt someone.
4)My sis was actually told that teaching children manners stifles their creativity. Whoa, since when? She was also told she was a mean mother (by another PARENT!!!) because she makes her kids do homework/chores.

It's no wonder we have a bunch of snot nosed, spoiled, bratty children in this world today. Parents, do your job, and parent. Your kids do NOT rule the roust. So what if your kid doesn't like what to do, they need boundries! Rosie tells me on a regular basis that she doesn't like me (when she's being punished) but I hate to say it, oh well. My job isn't to be her friend, it's to make sure she grows to be a healthy, polite, productive member of society. If you want a friend, buy a dog. If you want kids, be a parent. People today, yeesh!

2 comments:

Banana_Grl said...

I heard an interesting thing a while back about why the current generation of kids/teens lack discipline and it made sense to me ... The person I was talking to said that they thought is was due in part to the fact that parents were told they could no longer spank, etc. However, parents were not given other tools to replace previous forms of discipline. Makes sense to me ... I think many parents out there have no idea how to discipline their kids or what other options to spanking, etc. there are. Sad really.

monkey chick said...

Well in my opinion a small swat on the bum for some offenses is not uncalled for. Certainly not to hurt the child or anything but done right, is very effective. And why are parents so afraid to raise their voices, not scream, but talk loudly and sternly. You're doing more damage by being an ineffective parent than if you occasionally lay the law down with your child, in my opinion.